Health Dept.: 330.627.4866 / Help Me Grow: 330.627.4357

Nuisance Complaints

Investigations of public health related nuisances including, but not limited to:

  • Unapproved sewage discharge
  • Trash accumulation
  • Standing water
  • Rodent Harborage

The Carroll County General Health District's Environmental Division will thoroughly investigate every legitimate public health nuisance our office receives.

If you feel you have a legitimate complaint related to a public health nuisance such as excessive litter around a home, a failing septic system, etc. it can be reported to our office.  A nuisance complaint form must be filled out for all complaints and can be obtained by calling or visiting our office or by downloading our complaint form.

The nuisance complaint form must be completely filled out.  Missing or inaccurate information may delay or negate the complaint.  You may remain anonymous when submitting the complaint, however, this may also delay the investigation into the complaint.  If you would like updates regarding the complaint, the nuisance complaint form must be signed and a phone number provided.  The nuisance complaint form can be returned to our office by mail, fax, email, or in person.

Once the nuisance complaint form is received, we will attempt to validate and investigate the complaint in a reasonable period of time.  Depending on the severity and nature of the complaint, the offender will be given time to correct the issue.  We strive to have all valid public health nuisance complaints resolved in a timely manner.

  • You may either call the Health Department at 330-627-4866 and the secretary will mail you a form to fill out or you may download a form here.
  • Sign and date the form and mail it back to our office.